This Shabbat Shalom: Friday Wrap-Up is coming to you from Marlboro, New Jersey. I spent the entire day at the Princeton Sports Symposium in Princeton, meeting new people and finally putting a face behind many readers of this blog (myself and Dynasty‘s Coaches Division Director, Jason Belzer, pictured above). I will definitely follow up with you all about the event at a later date. Big weekend for my Florida Gators. Hopefully JetBlue will air the game (I stupidly scheduled my return flight on Saturday right before kickoff of the SEC Championship). And what’s all this nonsense about Gatorade not being created at UF? Give me a freakin’ break. Win a VIP trip to the 2008 Chick-fil-A bowl and free food for a year. Here are some stories I missed over the course of last week:
- A drop in Japan-born players coming over to the U.S. to play baseball [Far East free agents at a premium].
- A girl version of Tim Wakefield…watch out! [Knuckleballer Yoshida, 16, signs with new Japan independent league]
- Edgar Renteria is a big fan of the NL [Giants sign Renteria to $18.5M deal].
- And I was originally pissed that I drafted Colsten ahead of him in fantasy football [Answering the key questions in the Plaxico Burress case].
- SI, CAA, and Octagon are among those scrapping their annual Super Bowl festivities [In a recession, even the Super Bowl takes a hit].
- Rajon Rondo has seen his stock rise dramatically over the past year. Don’t think it has to do with his accessible online personality? Think again. [Celtics’ Rajon Rondo to try on Nikes]