Shabbat Shalom: Friday Wrap-Up (3/20/09)
I absolutely love the Geico Kash logo. So Akron’s Pro Day was pushed back a week. At first, I was upset. Now, I realize that it may be a good thing. Our guys will continue to eat well and train, and hopefully the change of date will allow more scouts to attend the Pro Day. We continue to get some fantastic verbal commitments from high school and college baseball players and Austin is about to make some big trips to bring in solid basketball talent to our growing Basketball Division. Little known fact: I was an all-county Volleyball player in high school. It was nice to pick up a volleyball again for the first time in about four years, this past week. I am captain of my law school’s Volleyball team in a competition against Med, Vet, and Dental schools next week. Here are some stories I missed:
- DeMaurice Smith was selected to be the successor to Gene Upshaw as the Executive Director of the NFLPA [Smith elected to head NFLPA].
- One step in the right direction towards bringing back the AFL next year [AFL might be back in ’10].
- Devin Hester is about to sport his wings with Red Bull [Hester Is A Flash In The Can].
- Great wrap-up of the early Pro Days [Pro Day Recap – Part 1].
- An agent rarely wants to see his name in the press. This is the 2nd week in a row that we can’t help but notice Bus Cook getting attention [Agent explains Cutler timeline].
- $1.5 million guaranteed plus the possibility of making another $1.5 million this year [Rodriguez, Astros agree to contract].
- The NBPA was not too happy with that Yahoo! Sports article calling out Ceruzzi Sports and Pat Barrett [NBA Players Association to probe agency].
- Make sure you provide your clients with solid financial planners [IRS Looking At Athletes More Closely].