I’m not a big fan of writing posts on the weekend, and rarely churn out two News & Notes pieces on consecutive days, but Dynasty‘s boys have been performing extremely well at a pivotal point of the season. With all teams past their All-Star breaks and lots of cuts being made, Dynasty’s boys are shining. Here are some highlights from last night:
- Sometimes, even we forget that we have clients that aren’t pitchers. Ben Billingsley, currently with the Everett Aquasox of the Seattle Mariners organization, hit a homerun last night, which is his 3rd of the season. Not bad for the guy who is known for his defense and speed on the bases. Billingsley had a short stint in Triple A earlier in the year.
- On the other side of the country, Eric Valdez, got the save for another Seattle Mariners affiliate (Pulaski). In 1 inning of relief, he struck out two batters.
- Kyle Gunderson, usually inserted as the closer, came into a tight 3-2 game between the Jupiter Hammerheads and St. Lucie Mets. He pitched a perfect inning to pick up his second hold of the season.
- Last night, the Potomac Nationals moved into a tie for first place in the Carolina league. The P-Nats won the league last year, with Dan Leatherman being a major contributor in the playoffs. Leatherman is once again pitching great in the latter half of the season. Last night, he pitched the 9th inning, giving up no runs. His ERA is now a very impressive 3.13 in 54.2 innings pitched (highest amongst P-Nat relievers).
- While Kyle McPherson was charged with the loss in last night’s game against the Hudson Valley Renegades, he did pick up his fifth quality start in his last six outings. McPherson went 6 innings and gave up only 3 runs, 4 hits, and struck out 2. He did not give up a single walk, improving his K/BB ratio: 39/6.