- Bryce Harper (Washington Nationals) – Boras Corp. – Interesting to note that Bud Selig referred to Harper as an outfielder even though he has played mostly catcher his entire life. Get this kid on the fast track through the Minors.
- Jameson Tallion (Pittsburgh Pirates) – Hendricks Sports Management – Big high school arm clocked as high as 99 mph.
- Manny Machado (Baltimore Orioles) – Boras Corp. – Hard to see Machado passing up signing to go play at Florida International University. Interesting that FIU is his college commitment.
- Christian Colon (Kansas City Royals) – Boras Corp. – Yesterday, I had reported that the Royals wanted to sign Yasmani Grandal. Perhaps his price tag was too high.
- Drew Pomeranz (Cleveland Indians) – Beverly Hills Sports Council – He was drafted in the 12th round out of high school.
- Barret Loux (Arizona Diamondbacks) – SFX – Jumped up boards a lot recently.
- Matt Harvey (New York Mets) – Boras Corp. – 4th Boras client selected in the top 7 picks.
- Delino Deshields Jr. (Houston Astros) – Wasserman Media Group
- Karsten Whitson (San Diego Padres) – SFX – Committed to my alma mater, the University of Florida.
- Michael Choice (Oakland Athletics) – Franklin-Frye Sports – Went undrafted out of high school.
- Deck McGuire (Toronto Blue Jays) – SFX – Also undrafted out of high school.
- Yasmani Grandal (Cincinnati Reds) – Legacy Sports Group – Slipped because of signability issues.
- Chris Sale (Chicago White Sox) – Jet Sports Management – Didn’t play at a major school (Florida Gulf Coast University), but put up great numbers there and played very well in Cape Cod last summer.
- Dylan Covey (Milwaukee Brewers) – Wasserman Media Group
- Jake Skole (Texas Rangers) – Unknown – Won’t be compensated if they don’t sign this pick (most likely why Skole was taken here).
- Hayden Simpson (Chicago Cubs) – Hendricks Sports Management – Great numbers this past year in Division II baseball.
- Josh Sale (Tampa Bay Rays) – Creative Artists Agency – Don’t worry, different advisors than the people at CAA who have to worry about where LeBron will play.
- Kaleb Cowart (Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim) – SFX – Boras Corp. has higher drafted clients, but at this point of the draft, SFX and Boras tied in number of players picked.
- Michael Foltynewicz (Houston Astros) – Octagon
- Kolbrin Vitek (Boston Red Sox) – Pro Star Management – Joe Bick also represents Kevin Youkilis, one of my favorite players.
- Alex Wimmers (Minnesota Twins) – ACES – Undrafted out of high school.
- Kellin Deglan (Texas Rangers) – Double Diamond Sports Management – Canadian catcher committed to Florida International University with Manny Machado.
- Christian Yelich (Florida Marlins) – Creative Artists Agency – Committed to the University of Miami, so he will be in the state of Florida no matter what.
- Gary Brown (San Francisco Giants) – Boras Corp. – And Boras re-gains the lead in clients selected with a total of 5 at this point.
- Zack Cox (St. Louis Cardinals) – SFX – A draft-eligible sophomore.
- Kyle Parker (Colorado Rockies) – Career Sports Entertainment – Also the quarterback for Clemson. Will be a tough sign.
- Jesse Biddle (Philadelphia Phillies) – Sosnick & Cobbe – Matt Sosnick represents some big time pitchers; add this stud to the list.
- Zach Lee (Los Angeles Dodgers) – Unknown – Committed to play football at LSU. Queue the signability discussion.
- Cam Bedrosian (Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim) – ACES
- Chevez Clarke (Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim) – ACES – 2 ACES clients drafted in a row, and a total of 3 ACES clients taken in the first round.
- Justin O’Connor (Tampa Bay Rays) – SFX – Committed to Arkansas.
- Cito Culver (New York Yankees) – SFX
Comp Round A
- Mike Kvasnicka (Houston Astros) – Sterling Sports Management
- Aaron Sanchez (Toronto Blue Jays) – West Coast Sports
- Matthew Lipka (Atlanta Braves) – Franklin-Frye Sports
- Bryce Brentz (Boston Red Sox) – Jet Sports Management
- Taylor Lindsey (Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim) – Unknown
- Noah Syndergaard (Toronto Blue Jays) – Xclusive Sports Management
- Anthony Ranaudo (Boston Red Sox) – Boras Corp.
- Ryan Bolden (Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim) – ACES
- Asher Wojciechowski (Toronto Blue Jays) – SFX
- Drew Vettleson (Tampa Bay Rays) – Creative Artists Agency
- Taijuan Walker (Seattle Mariners) – Reynolds Sports Management
- Nick Castellanos (Detroit Tigers) – SportsMeter
- Luke Jackson (Texas Rangers) – Unknown
- Seth Blair (St. Louis Cardinals) – Boras Corp.
- Peter Tago (Colorado Rockies) – Wasserman Media Group
- Chance Ruffin (Detroit Tigers) – Unknown
- Mike Olt (Texas Rangers) – Wasserman Media Group
- Tyrell Jenkins (St. Louis Cardinals) – Select Sports Group
9 replies on “The MLB Draft Day 1 Broken Down”
Word is that Deglan is the first player to sign, for a figure right around $1 million. If true, it would be lower than the bonus for every pick in last year’s 1st round other than the 31st and 32nd pick.
Culver with sfx
Noah Syndergaard (Blue Jays) Pick. 38
Advisor: Kyle Dison, Xclusive Sports Management
didn’t kyle used to work for your company? impressive draft pick for him and his company.
No, but he was a client. However, he had Tommy John surgery and never made it back to playing. Congrats to him on repping such a high pick.
Bryce Harper actually requested to be listed as an OF for the draft. Player’s choice.
Have you had any of your guys drafted, and if so where an to whom?
Yes, we will report on it later.
double diamond’s player at #22 just signed for a below-slot deal. that’s going to be fuel for other agents for sure.