The hottest sports law topics at the moment seem to be conference realignment, NFLPA decertification, and the lingering athlete agent laws and NCAA regulations that are ineffective and ignored by many. A future symposium aims to discuss the latter issue to an extent, and only concerning the NCAA.
What: Boston College Law Review Symposium: Legal Perspectives on the NCAA
When: Friday, October 15, 2010
Where: Boston College Law School
Description: The all-day symposium will examine some of the legal issues raised by the NCAA’s growth. The symposium will feature four panels during which distinguished law faculty will present academic papers that will be published by the Boston College Law Review. A commentator will then give us his or her thoughts about the paper with an eye to fostering an open give and take about the ideas presented.
The symposium will also feature a special lunchtime program during which William Hancock, executive director of the BCS, and Matthew Sanderson, executive director of PlayoffPac, will discuss postseason college football, the BCS, and the National Championship. Jeremy Schaap of ESPN will moderate.
- 8:30 – 10:00 Panel I: The NCAA and Gender
- Nancy Hogshead-Makar, Professor, Florida Coastal Law School
- Erin Buzuvis, Professor, Western New England Law School
- Moderator and Commentator: Debbie Corum Associate Commissioner, SEC
- 10:00 – 10:15 Coffee Break
- 10:15 – 11:45 Panel II: The NCAA and Students
- Maureen Weston, Professor, Pepperdine Law School
- Alfred Yen, Professor, Boston College Law School
- Moderator and Commentator: Petrina Long, Senior Associate Athletic Director, UCLA
- Discussant: Andy Staples, Sports Illustrated (Invited)
- 12:00 – 1:30 Lunch: Postseason College Football, the BCS, and the National Championship
- Roy Kramer, Former Commissioner of the SEC and founder of the BCS
- Matthew Sanderson, Executive Director of PlayoffPac
- Moderator: Jeremy Schaap, ESPN
- 1:45 – 3:15 Panel III: The NCAA as a Commercial Enterprise
- Michael McCann, Professor, Vermont Law School
- Joseph Liu, Professor, Boston College Law School
- Moderator and Commentator: Jon Wertheim, Senior Writer, Sports Illustrated
- 3:15 – 3:30 Coffee Break
- 3:30 – 5:00 Panel IV: The NCAA and Constitutional Law
- Vikram Amar, Professor, UC Davis Law School
- Richard Albert, Professor, Boston College Law School
- Moderator and Commentator: Gordon Hylton, Professor, Marquette Law School
- 5:15 – 6:00 Reception
- 6:00 Dinner for Speakers and Invited Guests
*All of the events, except the speakers’ dinner, are open to symposium registrants.
Cost: Free. To register, please send your name, address, and affiliation to: firstname.lastname@example.org