With MLB Free Agency officially underway, we have been extremely busy talking to teams about a couple of our clients who have a lot of value to add to an MLB organization. Clubs have shown a lot of interest in Gary Patchett and Matt Scherer, both of whom have a great deal of experience at the Triple-A level. The Florida Gators have a big match-up against South Carolina this weekend; the winner will get the chance to play for the SEC Championship. New information is coming out regarding Cam Newton almost every hour. I will probably churn out a piece on the Auburn QB’s situation for next week. Here are some stories I missed over the past week:
- The aforementioned Patchett and Scherer appear on this list [Minor League Free Agents 2010].
- Some journalists may overstate team concerns about players represented by Scott Boras [Be skeptical of “Team X is wary of Scott Boras” articles].
- Teams don’t want to lose top picks [Why Most Type A Free Agents Won’t Sign Right Away].
- The college dropout is acting pro se [Lamar Odom Seeks Tax Deduction For NBA Fines and Fitness Fees].
- Would the Securities and Exchange Commission be a better than the Federal Trade Commission in enforcing agent laws? [NFL Agents Getting a Bum Rap: An Interview With Priority Sports’ Kenny Zuckerman]
- Pennington’s 2010 salary jumps from $2.5 million to $5.75 million [Dolphins QB Chad Henne tries to remain upbeat after surprising switch to Chad Pennington].