When: March 5, 2011 (8:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.)
Where: Storer Auditorium (map)
8:30-8:35 a.m.: Opening Remarks – Welcome
- Speaker: Matt Buser
8:45-10 a.m.: Panel I – Beyond the Field and Stage: Alternate Revenue Streams for Athletes and Entertainers
- Speakers: Andrew Fine, Ben Sturner, David Slutsker, David Canter
- Moderator: Darryl Cohen
- Summary: This panel will focus on the alternate revenue streams available to athletes and entertainers (other than musicians) such as appearances, advertisements, broadcasting, and restaurant ownership. Discussion will also focus on long-term career planning for these individuals. The panel will describe these opportunities while also addressing the legal and business risks that arise.
10:10-11:25 a.m.: Panel II – Labor Environment in Professional Sports
- Speakers: Tony Agnone, Jamal Mashburn, Derek Jackson
- Moderator: Joseph Fleming
- Summary: This panel will focus on the evolving labor environment in the NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB. The four major leagues in the United States provide unique problems and emphasize different issues, but each sport also has common general problems such as competitive balance, fair pay, and the treatment of retired players. The panel will give the audience an overview of the labor issues in the four major sports leagues and compare and contrast the issues in each league.
11:35 a.m.-12:50 p.m.: Panel III – Licensing Negotiation
- Speakers: Kim Kolback
- Moderator: Brooke Beyer
- Summary: This panel will stage a mock licensing negotiation involving a professional sports league and a potential sponsor/business partner. The panel will begin with a preliminary draft of a licensing contract and panel participants will break down the elements of the agreement and discuss major points of negotiation (grant of rights, trademark use limitations, arbitration clauses, etc), as well as address various bargaining techniques, issues of leverage, and the general effect these licensing deals have on the industry.
1-2:30 p.m.: Lunch and Keynote Address
- Speaker: Ralph Cindrich
2:40-3:55 p.m.: The Road to Stardom – Legal Strategies for Musicians
- Speakers: David Bercuson, Gabrielle Bozza, Richard Wolfe, Simran Singh
- Moderator: Serona Elton
- Summary: This panel will address the evolving face of the music industry and how artists and musicians are planning for these changes. The panel will address the recent decrease of lucrative record deals, the increase in digital music dissemination, and the legal strategies that musicians at various stages in their careers should employ as a result of these changes.
4:05-5:30 p.m.: Panel V – The Many Facets of High-Profile Legal Issues
- Speakers: Chris Lyons, Stephen Starks, David Cornwell, Donald Jackson
- Moderator: Alan Fertel
- Summary: This panel will address the “perfect storm” that occurs when a high-profile individual has a legal issue. The panel will address the civil suit implications, criminal suit implications, any actions taken by the professional team or organization with which that individual is involved, and the issues with media relations.
5:45-7 p.m.: Reception
Cost: $15 – UM Students, $35 – Non-UM Law Students, $100 – Non-Attorneys, $150 – Attorneys. Up to 8 CLE credits awarded. Register here.