Shabbat Shalom: Friday Wrap-Up (9/9/2011)
Las Vegas was an absolute blast. Many thanks go out to my friends at Pro Player Group, LLC for making sure that me and my friends were looked after on our vacation. What is the deal regarding talk of NBA owners wanting a 3rd round added to the draft? Most of them do not even pay attention to the 2nd rounders that they select. My friend Brian Finkel suggested that he and I host a South Florida sports business TweetUp. I have never been to one before, but it sounds like it could be a good time. Let me know if you are in the area and have any interest. Here are some stories I missed over the past week:
- The Pittsburgh Pirates have spent the most money (by far) on draft bonuses in the past 4 years [MLB Attempts Aren’t Slowing Draft Spending].
- New job description: matchmaker [Phillies star seeks mermaid].
- Chris Johnson’s “New Money” is quite impressive [Green Titan].
- Best agent to client ratio among any team sports agency in the country? [The Anti-Rosenhaus: Priority Sports Challenges Everything You Think About Agents].
- The conflict of interest discussion is similar to what was discussed in my first class that I taught at Indiana University [Making Moves].
- Interview with hockey agent Gennady Ushakov [‘US agents cheat hockey players out of hard-earned cash’].
- My friend Warren Zola looks at the issues surrounding Andre Drummond going to play at the University of Connecticut [UConn: NCAA Rules (Still) Don’t Apply to Us].
- The Atlantic panel provides some good commentary [The ‘Moneyball’ Effect: Are Sabermetrics Good for Sports?].