I will be attending and speaking at this symposium, but will be leaving roughly half way through in order to catch a flight to Arizona for Arizona State’s 2nd Annual Conference On Sports & Entertainment Law. If you are in New York during the event, I hope that you are able to stop by during the day and say hello.
What: New York Law School Third Annual Sports Law Symposium
When: Friday, November 4, 2011 (12:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.)
Where: New York Law School, 185 West Broadway, NY (2nd Floor Events Center, W402, W420)
Industry leaders will engage in panel discussions involving current legal issues in the sports industry including the legal infrastructure of developing and growing professional sports leagues, amateurism issues in collegiate sports, intellectual property management of sports and entertainments brands, and athlete agent regulation and enforcement. Panelists will also offer perspective on breaking into the legal side of the sports industry. A networking reception will follow the day’s events.
- Panel 1: Overview of Current Legal Developments in the Sports Industry
- Breakout Session 1: Financial and Tax Considerations in Representing Professional Athletes
- Breakout Session 2: Intellectual Property Issues in Sports
- Breakout Session 3: Athlete Agent Regulation and Enforcement
- Panel 2: Legal Infrastructure of Developing and Growing Professional Sports Leagues
- Panel 3: Amateurism Issues in Collegiate Sports
- Panel 4: Breaking Into the Sports Industry
- Networking Reception
- Jason Belzer – President, Global Athlete Management Enterprises, Inc.
- Andrew Bondarowicz – President, Aregatta Group, Inc.
- Allison Cantor – Assistant Counsel, ESPN
- Mark Conrad ’81 – Associate Professor of Business Law, Fordham University, Adjunct Professor of Sports Law, New York Law School
- George Daniel – Commissioner, National Lacrosse League
- Marc Edelman – Assistant Professor of Law at Barry University’s Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law
- Dimitrios Efstathiou – Senior Counsel, Major League Soccer
- Andrew Fine – Director of Marketing and Broadcasting, RLR Associates
- David Fish – NFLPA Certified Agent, Adjunct Professor of Law, New York Law School
- David Gross – Commissioner, Major League Lacrosse
- Darren Heitner – Founder of Sports Agent Blog, CEO of Dynasty Athlete Representation, Professor of Sport Agency Management, Indiana University, Attorney at Law, Wolfe Law Miami P.A.
- David Mayer – Counsel, ESPN
- Kevin Matz – Managing Member, Kevin Matz & Associates PLLC
- Michael McCann – Sports Illustrated Legal Analyst, NBATV Legal Analyst, Professor of Law, Vermont Law School
- Tim McIIwain ’95 – Partner, McKenna McIlwain, LLP
- Robert Raiola – CPA, Sports & Entertainment Group Manager at Fazio, Mannuzza, Roche, Tankel, LaPIlusa, LLC
- Katherine Salisbury – President, Friedman & Salisbury Sports Management LLC
- David Soskin ’08 – Assistant Counsel, ESPN
- Mike Zarren – Assistant General Manager and Associate Team Counsel, Boston Celtics
- Warren Zola – Chair, Professional Sports Counseling Panel, Boston College
CLE credits will be offered. For more information on the event, please contact Elliot Solop at firstname.lastname@example.org.