This week, the NCAA hosted its annual Scholarly Colloquium on Intercollegiate Athletics. Jason Belzer and I created a presentation, which took a deep look at the implications of academic reform, as well as the newly instituted standards and other proposed changes. In analyzing statistical data associated with Academic Progress Rates (APR), we came to a clear determination that if APR standards are raised, there will be a distinguishable disparate impact amongst certain member institutions as compared to the majority of others. I must thank Jason for presenting for the both of us in Indianapolis. Jason and I were also covered in the SportsBusiness Journal article, Agent searches increasingly move to campus, which talked about our fairly new consulting company, Collegiate Sports Advisors. Separately, Kristi Dosh, who covers sports business for ESPN, hosted an article I wrote about sports business conferences (specifically the arbitration competition at Tulane and the Ivy Sports Symposium). Here are some stories I failed to cover over the past week:
- A 26-year-old former Priority Sports and Entertainment basketball operations intern making big moves in the D-League [Joey Meyer, Mad Ants ‘part ways’].
- That’s a familiar last name… [Nets hire Penn grad Matt Tellem as “Capologist”].
- Signed with Madison, Wisconsin-based Mark Eisenberg [College roundup: Spartans’ Zweifel signs agent].
- Legal dispute between Peter Schaffer and C. Lamont Smith over finances [Agents to NFL stars mired in legal battle].
- He dropped Andrew Bondarowicz and hired David Canter [CFL all-star Mitchell takes his talents to Miami].
- This weeks’ must read [Leigh Steinberg: Setting The Record Straight On Bankruptcy, Addiction And Career].
- Very sad that agents are becoming more and more like banks [As rookie money dries up, agents continue to cut great deals for players].
- Lamonte represents Cleveland Browns President Mike Holmgren, GM Tom Heckert, Executive Vice President Bryan Wiedmeier, head coach Pat Shurmur, and quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple [Bob LaMonte, Our 2011 Cleveland Browns MVP].