Sunday night is the start of the New Year for my fellow Jews. Happy Rosh Hashanah to those who will be celebrating. There is not much to celebrate when it comes to South Florida sports. The Dolphins were destroyed by the Texans, the Marlins season cannot end soon enough, and the Miami Hurricanes got shellacked by Kansas State (it’s a good thing I’m a Gators fan). At least basketball will soon resume, and South Florida will have something to cheer about. Interestingly, LeBron James recently dropped his agent (Leon Rose of CAA) and will hire his childhood friend Rich Paul. This past week, I wrote the following articles for Forbes.com: 1) Could Lance Thomas’ $100,000 Worth Of “Bling” Cause Duke To Vacate Its 2010 Ring?; 2) Quarterback Vince Young Claims Athlete Lending Company Pro Player Funding Engaged In Fraud; 3) Has Tyler Hansbrough’s Mother Put The University Of North Carolina At Risk For NCAA Sanctions?; and 4) Will NHL Players Fall Prey To Predatory Lockout Loans As Collective Bargaining Talks Linger? Thanks to Yahoo! Sports for the kind words on my NHL article. Here are some recent stories I failed to cover:
- Lots of bad press for Sam and Seth Levinson of ACES as of late [Questions Surround Agents Absent From Steroids Report].
- Wright says he is sticking with the Levinsons…for now [NY Mets star David Wright stands by embattled agents as they’re investigated by MLB to see if they helped players get performance-enhancing drugs].
- MLB and the union are expected to compare notes [Player agents under investigation by MLB, MLBPA for facilitating steroid use].
- Lots of injuries [Update On This Year’s Rule 5 Draft Picks].
- Boras agrees with the Nationals’ decision, but says he had nothing to do with it [Scott Boras: Shutdown on mark].
- Tavarez played baseball in the Dominican Republic and is apparently an agent based in the Bronx [Sports Agent Tavarez Challenges Rivera in 33rd Senate District; Still Hasn’t Filed Campaign Finances].
- But he didn’t say what his lockout fine actually amounts to [Maurice Jones-Drew says report false about $800,000 fine].
- Running a sports team is compared to being a movie star. “The odds are long, and there are so many people out there who want to do it.” [When I grow up]