I am back in the town where a lot of magic went down — Gainesville, Florida. Today marks the return of the UF Sports Law Symposium, where I will be moderating one panel and also serving as a Keynote Speaker. It is a joy to return to the town where I spent 7 amazing years as both an undergraduate and law student. Wednesday was a pretty wild day after breaking the contract details for DeSean Jackson’s new contract with the Washington Redskins. I got a nice taste of what journalists often complain about — outlets not giving credit when credit is due. Oh well. This week on FORBES: (1) Denver Broncos Tight End Julius Thomas Teams With Marketing And Digital Agency; (2) Money Extremely Limited For College Seniors Seeking To Play Professional Baseball; (3) New Sports Agency Emerges By Acquiring Existing Practices With Great Stealth; (4) DeSean Jackson Signs 3 Year, $24 Million Contract With Washington Redskins; (5) What Tiger Woods’ Absence From The Masters Means For Nike; and (6) MGT’s Empire Expands Through Acquisition Of Daily Fantasy Sports Site DraftDay. And as always, the weekly wrap-up:
- He has hired Priority Sports as his representatives [Sean Kilpatrick named AP first-team All-American].
- Demonstrates the importance of every word in a contract [Here’s The Contract Steve Masiello Signed With USF].
- Noah Lookofsky says it was more than $50k [Spurned agent alleges he paid Tyler Honeycutt at UCLA].
- Nice words from Jeff Moorad [Jeter’s Agent Beats Jay Z With $700 Million MLB Offseason].
- Boras called Trout a “very special cup of tea.” Ok.. [Scott Boras suggests Mike Trout’s contract will not relate to Bryce Harper].
- Hamm plays sports agent J.B. Bernstein in Million Dollar Arm [Jon Hamm talks Mad Men, St. Louis Cardinals and Million Dollar Arm].
- Includes interesting details about Tom Condon’s negotiation concerning Peyton Manning’s last contract [Roger Goodell stresses more respect in NFL].
- Bloomberg speaks to many in the biz about Jay Z after a year in the biz [The Jay Z Effect: How Good a Sports Agent Is He?].