Only 3 days until I make the move within Fort Lauderdale from the beautiful Victoria Park to the even more beautiful Isles of Las Olas. I am incredibly excited and stressed about the move. This weekend is also El Clasico Miami, and I have to give a shout out to my buddy Daniel Sillman who has come a long way in a short time, starting in sports with a management company and now serving as President of Relevent Sports, which is responsible for promoting the major match-up between Barcelona and Real Madrid this weekend.
I first met Sillman in 2012, when he was working on developing Birmingham, Michigan-based Compass Management Group, a full-service business management firm that handled everything from private banking and bill pay to short and long term budgeting to oversight of investment and insurance services for sixteen NFL and NBA players at the time. Sillman would eventually start working with Draymond Green and was the person who originally connected Green with me so that my firm could begin providing important legal services for him, mostly within the realm of intellectual property protection. It has been a joy to see Sillman grow Compass Management Group, then sell it to a family office, join RSE Ventures under Miami Dolphins founder Stephen Ross and now be placed in the important position of president for a promotional soccer startup in charge of bringing important international games to the U.S., with a particular focus on the South Florida market.
Quick thanks to Bet365 Mobile for supporting us this week.
This week on Forbes:
(1) This Week In Sports Law: Parole For O.J. Simpson, Lululemon v. Under Armour, Paul George Scammed;
(2) El Clasico In Miami Is Major Test For Stephen Ross’ Soccer Business;
(3) Rams Fight Back Against Fans Who Purchased Personal Seat Licenses;
(4) The $23.3 Million Poker Player Who Just Turned 24-Years-Old;
(5) Esports Audience Monetization Platform Raises $1.8 Million Seed Round
And as always, the weekly wrap-up:
- David Rich says that Whitehead is too upset with the way he was cut [Lucky Whitehead’s agent: He wouldn’t accept a return to Social Iconsthe Cowboys].
- Kenny Zuckerman confirmed that the report is not true [Agent denies report Koa Misi is retiring after being placed on IR].
- Tennessee coach Butch Jones has apparently gone from Trace Armstrong (who used to be with CAA) to another agent at CAA (probably Jimmy Sexton) [Twitter].
- O.J. Simpson’s former sports agent Mike Gilbert owns the white Bronco [OWNER OF THE BRONCO COULD BE BIG WINNER].
- Agent Anthony Tall says that athletes he’s represented are very worried about CTE [CTE found in 99% of studied brains from deceased NFL players].
- Scott Boras moved from No. 21 last year to No. 19 [Top 50 Most Powerful in Southern California Sports: No. 19 Scott Boras, Sports Agent].
- Kerrick Jackson spent the last couple of years as a sports agent [Southern University introduces new baseball coach].
- Rocky Hambric was a tax accountant before becoming a golf agent almost by accident [What’s it like managing Dustin Johnson — ‘the John Wayne’ of golf?].