President Trump continues to tweet about players standing vs. kneeling for the National Anthem, and it has basically become the biggest issue surrounding the NFL and politics. Count me among the many who are tired of it all and would like to go back to when the NFL was an escape from politics and perhaps some of the negative items that cable news networks decided to display. Speaking of politics, I’m supposed to go to Turkey at the end of this month, but Visas have been suspended and I’m not quite sure whether it is safe enough to venture over there at the moment. I’m definitely interested if anyone has thoughts on the above. Dolphins are 2-2, embroiled in cocaine related drama . . . woohoo!
This week on Forbes:
(1) This Week In Sports Law: Rick Pitino, NFL Player Info Breach, Kentucky Sports Radio Suit;
(2) Muhammad Ali Enterprises Sues Fox For $30 Million;
(3) Blockchain Technology Could Be A Game Changer In Esports
This week on Inc.:
(1) How a FanDuel Investor Is Preparing for Sports Betting Throughout the U.S.;
(2) Why ESPN Anchor Jemele Hill Needs to Rethink Her Social Media Strategy;
(3) How Chivas Extended Its Reach in Sports Sponsorship with GGG
And as always, the weekly wrap-up:
- Dawkins is charged with 3 counts of wire fraud and 1 count of money-laundering conspiracy [How Christian Dawkins went from unknown to key figure in a scandal that could bring down college basketball].
- Embid is represented by CAA Sports [Joel Embiid’s deal protects 76ers in case of contractually specific injury].
- School was upset that Pitino didn’t notify it of Dawkins’ visit in May [Louisville’s Greg Postel in letter to Pitino: Sports agent in FBI case was on campus in May].
- USC, Arizona, Auburn and Oklahoma State [Federal grand jury issues sweeping subpoenas to USC and 3 other schools in basketball bribery case].
- For both Richardson and Bland: a $100,000 bond [Arizona Basketball: Book Richardson’s court day starts with hug, ends with $100K bond].
- Sports agent Bartolo Hernandez has asked for a 3 year prison term [Cuban baseball player smugglers seek lenient sentences].
- Issue over whether a lower commission structure has been ignored [Competition Commission target SA soccer agents for fixing prices].