Shabbat Shalom: Friday Wrap-up (2/2/2018)
I had a great time yesterday making my annual visit to Professor Carfagna’s athlete representation class that he teaches at the University of Miami College of Law. It appears that there are some very bright minds enrolled who have a strong future in Sports Law. I will actually be back on Miami’s campus on February 16 for the 2018 Global Entertainment & Sport Conference, speaking on a panel titled, “Financial Decisions for the Sport & Entertainment Industry.” More info about the conference here. Well, it’s Super Bowl weekend, and I decided to stay at home this year as opposed to battling the frigid temperatures in Minnesota. But kudos to those who braved it out and are surviving up in the north. I’m rooting for the Eagles. I’ve worked with more players on that team, so it justifies my heart’s position.
This week on Forbes:
(1) Sports Betting Aggregator Prepares For Possible Push In The U.S.;
(2) NFLPA Adds Continuing Education Requirement For All Agents;
(3) NCAA Files Trademark Action Against Owner Of Markdown Madness;
(4) Esports Digital Trading Card Company Receives $2 Million In Seed Funding
(1) Why the XFL Has a Real Shot to Succeed in its 2nd Time Around;
(2) Billions Will Once Again Be Illegally Wagered on the Super Bowl;
(3) How the NFL Players Association Will Keep NFL Agents on Their Toes;
(4) How the Blockchain Could Benefit the Unbanked and Underbanked
And as always, the weekly wrap-up:
- Leigh Steinberg is hosting 3 events this year [Where the stars are partying for Super Bowl weekend].
- When Leigh’s not hosting Super Bowl events.. [UNT’s Wilson invited to NFL scouting combine].
- Represented by Roc Nation Sports and agent John Thornton [Ex-Louisville football CB Jaire Alexander to attend NFL combine].
- Erik Burkhardt may turn his focus to other pro options for Johnny Football [Johnny Manziel remains unsigned as his CFL deadline passes].
- Rest in peace to the man who represented many NBA superstars [NBA community mourns death of player agent Henry Thomas].
- Some more background on the late Henry Thomas [Former Bradley Brave and NBA agent Henry Thomas dies at 64].