Shabbat Shalom: Friday Wrap-up (4/13/2018)
Let’s see what happened this past week. We had the news of the 4 major players associations deciding that they were going to break silence on their position concerning sports betting. They want a seat at the table when it comes to discussions over how players’ image rights will be used, which means they want some money in exchange for use of names and likenesses. The Marlins continue to post deplorable numbers for home game attendance. On Wednesday, the team had its lowest turnout ever at 6,150 and that was against a red hot Mets team. The 76ers decided to unveil a new logo with a chopped up snake and hopefully that snake catches fire when the Sixers come down to Miami to take on the Heat in the first round of the Playoffs. I’m off to Washington D.C. early next week for a grievance hearing and then Las Vegas later in the week and through the weekend. Shabbat Shalom!
(1) Chicago Cubs Enter Into Extensive Partnership With Gallagher Insurance;
(2) Derrius Guice Switches Sports Agencies, Signing With Lil Wayne’s Group;
(3) Robert Williams Will Stay In NBA Draft, Hiring Young Up-And-Coming Agents
(1) What Golden Tate Is Working on off the Football Field;
(2) HP Knows Esports Is an Area It Will Continue to Invest in for Quite a While;
(3) Why SAP is Breaking into Esports with Team Liquid Partnership;
(4) 8 Ivy League Colleges Join Together to Form Ivy Esports Conference;
(5) Ron Berkowitz Says the Key in PR Is to Have Confidence and the Ability to Make Connections
And as always, the weekly wrap-up:
- He will be represented by Happy Walters and George Langberg [Landry Shamet signs with agent, promotes his shooting ability heading into NBA Draft].
- Now NC State and Kansas are caught up in the college basketball corruption cases [Who is ‘Coach-4’? One of two former NC State coaches fits the profile].
- Coach K says, “Maybe there’s a way of checking their credentials, so the NCAA could provide guidance to freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors, that the agents would have to register and you would have their profiles. Things like that, like let’s just get ahead of the game” [NCAA questions, FBI probes. Do college basketball coaches know enough about recruits?].
- It is interesting that NC State banned Andy Miller in 2012 and said he was to have no contact with Wolfpack athletes [Universities must report rogue sports agents].
- Ariel Atkins and Brooke McCarty share an agent in Patrick Arryn [Latest WNBA draft just might include a Longhorns double-double].
- One agent said that players will sometimes throw “smoking parties” as soon as their testing is complete [According to Martellus Bennett, NFL players smoke marijuana at a very high rate].
- But not before he embarrassed his former agents on Twitter.. [Bills guard Richie Incognito set to retire after 11 seasons].