Shabbat Shalom: Friday Wrap-up (8/3/2018)
Professional football is back! It will be a while until we get anything worthwhile to watch on TV, but just the thought of the NFL returning and fantasy football drafts on the horizon is exciting. I’ll be heading out to Miami Dolphins practice on Saturday to see quite a few of my Heitner Legal clients. I wish I had the time/energy to travel around the country like many of my agent clients, but I just can’t do it, and I have no clue how some of these guys jump from town to town on a daily basis. Sad stuff this week with former UF head coach Urban Meyer, but it goes to show you that you can’t keep anything hidden in today’s day and age.
Thanks this week goes to write my essays.
This week on Forbes:
(1) This Multimillion-Dollar Men’s Athleisure Startup Is Coming After Lululemon’s Market Share;
(2) Boom In Mobile Trivia, Led By HQ Trivia, Leads To New Sports Offering;
(3) Live Streaming Startup In Competition With Facebook And Twitter Lands Deal With NFL Players;
(4) Blue Apron Competitor Trifecta Commits Almost $10 Million To 5-Year UFC Deal
And as always, the weekly wrap-up:
- David Mulugheta took to Twitter to describe shock with fans siding with teams [Earl Thomas’ agent sounds off on NFL fans supporting teams rather than players].
- Wannstedt: “At some point the player’s got to understand that [the agent] works for me. I’m not working for the agent. And you’ve got to stand up and say, ‘The contract’s fair. I need to get in practice and help this football team.'” [Dave Wannstedt thinks Roquan Smith has to stand up to his agent].
- 28-year-old Allison Galer launched her sports agency 6 years ago, right before attending law school . . . that resonates with me [Allison Galer’s cool job: WNBA agent and founder of Disrupt the Game agency].
- Joel Wolfe says it “was classless and bordered on unprofessional” [Agent for Yu Darvish blasts ‘classless’ Alex Rodriguez’s comments].
- She signed with Dan Levy of Wasserman right after turning pro during a National Press Club lunch in Washington [Ledecky just your average world champ].
- WME partner Jill Smoller will be interviewed about journey from tennis prodigy to writer and wellness advocate [Tennis icon Monica Seles, sports agent Jill Smoller join Fast Company forum].