Shabbat Shalom: Friday Wrap-Up (8/31/2018)
Happy end of the month and I wish you all an enjoyable Labor Day weekend. I have completed two of my fantasy drafts by now and I’m already spent. What’s interesting is that I think as sports betting expands, it may drastically reduce the amount of interest in daily/weekly fantasy sports, but season-long (particularly with football) should remain relevant and exciting. Wild news this week came down with regard to Mychal Kendricks being involved in insider trading and then immediately being cut by the Cleveland Browns. That will make Hard Knocks next week quite compelling TV if, in fact, they are able to show any of the internal conversations that went down on a tumultuous Wednesday.
Also, there are so many new posts over at The Sports Biz from the past week that it’s just worth your while to head over to the website and consume them all. Also, don’t forget to join its growing Twitter following.
And as always, the weekly wrap-up:
- “Former assistant coach Kenny Johnson allegedly texted a basketball staffer to request sports agent Christian Dawkins’ name be left off of a form listing visitors for Bowen’s May 2017 visit, and former assistant coach Jordan Fair allegedly omitted Dawkins’ name from the portion of the form he filled out, according to the documents filed by attorneys representing former head coach Rick Pitino in his lawsuit against the university’s athletic association.” [Two ex-Louisville coaches may have hidden agent’s visit with former five-star recruit Brian Bowen].
- Goodman left ESPN in June to join sports streaming platform Stadium [Jeff Goodman: ESPN told me to ‘stand down’ on covering FBI hoops investigation].
- George Washington assistant professor Robert W. Turner’s new book is titled, “Not for Long: The Life and Career of the NFL Athlete” [New book examines NFL careers and retirement from a sociological point of view].
- Winston’s 3-game suspension begins today and one of his first orders of business is to hire a new agent — he has reportedly narrowed his list to three agencies [Jameis Winston intends to hire agent soon].
- Chubby Chandler says the PGA Tour may partner with the European Tour for some co-sanctioned events in the future [Golf: Two biggest tours might partner for events, says agent Chandler].
- Jon Kent says about the main role of a cricket agent, “There are a lot of different decisions that [players] need to make at different stages of their career – at some stage, they may want to go to England, or they want to play in T20 leagues… and this can also be complicated if the player is a borderline South Africa A or Proteas player.” [Inside the mind of a cricket agent].
- Gary Prolman, a former hockey agent who was disbarred for 6 months after engaging in sexual acts with a vulnerable client, is told he deserves a harsher sentence [Attorney’s sentence too lenient says board of overseers].