Shabbat Shalom: Friday Wrap-up (9/28/2018)
I had a good time this week participating at the ESports BAR Miami conference that took place at the 1 Hotel in South Beach. It was a nice congregation of esports professionals from around the world. In fact, I had the honor of sharing the stage with the Director of Esports for Alibaba’s Alisports division and interviewing him for the main keynote of the event. After that, I had a day in Jacksonsville for Heitner Legal business and I’m definitely ready for the week to come to a close. It’s weird to be saying this, but I suppose this weekend’s Dolphins vs. Patriots game is more important for the 1-2 Patriots than the 3-0 Dolphins. Can’t believe that the Dolphins have a chance to start 4-0!
This week on The Sports Biz:
(1) FanDuel Gets A Public Relations Win By Paying Out $82K On 750-1 New Jersey Sports Bet;
(2) Job Opening: NFLPA Is Offering $40K For A Legal Coordinator;
(3) Job Opening: Fanatics Looks To Find Associate General Counsel;
(4) Green Monster Vs Green Monstah; Boston Red Sox Fight Relish Trademark Filing;
(5) Big Brands Have Big Choices To Make As They Enter The Esports Arena;
(6) Why Many Sports Fans Still Aren’t Willing To Cut The Cord;
(7) Basketball Recruiting Business Sued By New York State Attorney General;
(8) Did You See That Play? Why Highlights Are So Important For Sports Media Distributors;
(9) Former NFL Agent Loses Case Over Three Year Rule;
(10) Integrity, Integrity, Integrity, Says NFL, In Effort To Capitalize On Sports Betting;
(11) 888 Holdings Highlights US Sports Betting Potential In 1st Half Report;
(12) 7th Stadia Ventures Sports Business Accelerator Program Taps New Class Of Companies
And as always, the weekly wrap-up:
- Mike Ozanian says Condon has succeeded because he’s incredibly loyal and he puts business ahead of ego [How Tom Condon Made CAA Football The Most Powerful Agency In The NFL].
- “I need to sit in the pocket and let them hit me more. Simple as that.” [COWBOYS’ DAK PRESCOTT HAS INTERESTING TAKE ON CONTROVERSIAL NFL RULE].
- Leigh Steinberg says they’re keeping it “low key” [PATRICK MAHOMES TURNING DOWN BIG ENDORSEMENT DEALS].
- Mike’s brother James is an agent [Former NBA wing Dunleavy Jr. hired as Warriors scout].
- The biggest basketball bribery and corruption case ever begins trial on Monday [All the info you need as college hoops’ biggest scandal goes to trial].
- The vocal Allan Walsh says that players are seeking a structure in their standard player contracts with a significant signing bonus for the 2020-21 season payable on July 1st, which would then be paid even if there were a lockout instituted by the owners [NHL Agent on Possible Lockout: You Have to Prepare for the Worst].
- 3 sources say that a federal grand jury is looking into MLB teams’ international dealings and has issued subpoenas to club officials and other personnel involved in such transactions [Sources: A federal grand jury is investigating MLB’s international dealings, and officials on all sides are worried].