Shabbat Shalom: Friday Wrap-up (10/26/2018)
It’s been a long time, but I will be heading to Jacksonville this weekend for the annual Florida vs. Georgia game on “neutral” turf. It could very well be the game that determines who represents the SEC East in the SEC Championship game. Then, the following weekend, I’ll be heading to New York and be spending roughly five days in the city. The following weekend, I’ll be going to Gainesville for the UF vs. South Carolina game. Lots of travel and hopefully lots of enjoyment.
This week on The Sports Biz:
(1) Widespread Sports Betting Should Add Almost $2 Billion Annually Combined For MLB And NBA;
(2) Job Opening: Ohio State Seeks Athletic Compliance Officer;
(3) Job Opening: Relevent Seeks PR Manager;
(4) NBA And Other Sports Leagues Are 0-6 On Sports Betting Integrity Fees;
(5) New US Lacrosse League Lands NBC Media Rights Deal And Many Venture Capitalists;
(6) This Could Be The Simplest Daily Fantasy Sports Offering To Date;
(7) FanDuel Sued For Ripping Off William Hill Sports Betting Pamphlet;
(8) Cloud9 Is Valued At $310 Million, Making It The Most Valuable Esports Organization;
(9) The Golden Era Isn’t Over: Al Golden Sues University Of Miami;
(10) DraftKings And FanDuel Prevail In Right Of Publicity Case Against Former College Athletes
And as always, the weekly wrap-up:
- Most likely the biggest story in the sports world this week — Jim Gatto, Merl Code and Christian Dawkins all found guilty [3 College Basketball Recruiting Insiders Convicted in NYC].
- “If we’re going to be intellectually honest, the correct next step would be for the Justice Department to file an anti-trust lawsuit against the NCAA,” says Marc Edelman [How the College Basketball Corruption Verdict Could Help End Amateurism].
- Paul helped the young Darius Bazley score a lucrative internship with New Balance [LeBron James’ agent Rich Paul blames Bazley’s $1M internship on ‘broken system’].
- “… They get more meals now so they can keep their meal money.” [Jim Boeheim Says He Doesn’t Think NCAA Should Ever Compensate Players].
- Jimmy Gould called Adam Gase incompetent, among other things [DeVante Parker refutes agent’s incompetence claims about Adam Gase: ‘That’s his own opinion’].
- CAA agent Brodie Van Wagenen has interviewed to become the GM of the Mets [Agent Van Wagenen, Melvin, Bloom are Mets’ GM finalists].