2013 Jeffrey S. Moorad Sports Law Journal Symposium
What: Villanova University School of Law’s 2013 Jeffrey S. Moorad Sports Law Journal Symposium – Concussion Conundrum
When: Friday, March 15, 2013
Where: The Jeffrey S. Moorad Center for the Study of Sports Law at Villanova University School of Law
On Friday, March 15, just weeks before the NFL Concussion Injury Litigation goes to trial in Philadelphia, the 2013 Jeffrey S. Moorad Sports Law Journal Symposium tackles the key issues facing players, teams, leagues, doctors, and lawyers regarding head injuries and brain trauma in sports. Andrew Brandt, Director of the Jeffrey S. Moorad Center for the Study of Sports Law and NFL Business Analyst, will moderate all panels. The following schedule is also available here.
Panel 1: Framing the Issue
The Symposium will begin with a conversation between Andrew Brandt and former athletes, including some that have taken strong and public positions about concussions in sports. Brandt and the players will discuss concussion awareness, prevention and treatment from their playing days as well as their view of the present environment.
- Brian Westbrook, former player for the Philadelphia Eagles
- Keith Primeau, former player for the Philadelphia Flyers and founder of www.stopconcussions.com
- Jim Nelson, former player for the Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Indianapolis Colts, and Baltimore Ravens
- Taylor Twellman, former Major League Soccer player and current ESPN analyst and concussions commentator
Panel 2: Building the Case— A Legal and Medical Background of Concussions
This panel will explore liability issues of amateur and professional sports and bring a medical perspective to diagnosis and treatment of concussions. It will also feature a perspective of a Villanova Law Student who has written about and experienced the effects of concussions in her and her family’s life.
- Marc Edelman, Associate Professor of Law, Barry University
- Dr. Michael Marino, MD, Attending Physician at Drucker Brain Injury Center
- Cailyn Reilly, current student at Villanova University School of Law
Panel 3: Concussion Injury Litigation v. NFL: Looking at Both Sides
This panel will explore the key arguments of the case against the NFL featuring one of the lawyers representing the players, Sol Weiss, a class action defense lawyer and the founder of the definitive Internet site on concussion litigation. It will be a balanced and in-depth look at the major issues of this key case in sports right now.
- J. Gordon Cooney, Jr. ’84 VLS, Partner at Morgan Lewis, expert on the defense of class actions suits
- Sol Weiss ’72 VLS, Shareholder at Anapol Schwartz, Co-lead Counsel in NFL Concussion Injury Litigation
- Paul D. Anderson, Practicing attorney and creator of www.NFLConcussionLitigation.com
Panel 4: What‘s Next?: Parents, Media, Administrators, and Scholars Look Ahead
This panel will feature media personalities such as Roger Cossack and Ashley Fox of ESPN who, along with Brandt, will look at the state of the sport of football in light of concussions, whether parents should let their kids play, and where the NFL will be in 20 years.
- Roger Cossack, Legal Analyst, ESPN / CNN
- Ashley Fox, NFL Columnist, ESPN
- Peter Keating, Senior Writer, ESPN Magazine
- Taylor Twellman, ESPN Soccer Analyst
Cost: Free for all unless you want CLE credit. For CLE credit, the cost is $75. Register here.