Labor peace in Major League Baseball and now the NBA. It’s a good thing for fans and hopefully works out for owners and players as well. I am taking a real vacation next week, a week-long Celebrity cruise from Saturday through Saturday, so it is very unlikely that you will get a Friday wrap-up next week. Sorry folks. Miami Dolphins seem to have a chance at the playoffs, but will have to get there with backup quarterback Matt Moore. That should be interesting. Lots of Jerry Maguire links below . . . the movie was released 20 years ago.
This week on Forbes:
(1) This Week In Sports Law: Michael Jordan Wins In China, Matt Barnes And DeMarcus Cousins Sued;
(2) NFL Concussion Case Closed, Fight Shifts To Insurers; and
(3) Spalding Signs Chris Paul While Celebrating 125 Years Of Basketball
This week on Inc.: The NFL’s Questionable London Games Series Strategy
And as always, the weekly wrap-up:
- December represents an upsurge of activity for agents recruiting and signing college prospects [Football’s Accounting Tricks].
- Vandy is hosting an Agent Day, with involvement by its head coach [Vanderbilt’s bowl countdown: Swag gifts, final exams, NFL agents].
- They say that Hernandez hasn’t established a protected attorney-client relationship with his agent Brian Murphy [Prosecutors Push for Cellphone Evidence at Hernandez Trial].
- Rovell says the movie completely screwed up the sports agent industry by providing an avenue paved with fool’s gold [How ‘Jerry Maguire’ ruined the sports agency industry].
- Here’s The Hollywood Reporter’s original review of Jerry Maguire back in 1996 [‘Jerry Maguire’: THR’s 1996 Review].
- Tom Hanks was Cameron Crowe’s first pick for lead role [21 Things You Never Knew About ‘Jerry Maguire’].
- The movie has been quoted by both George W. Bush and Barack Obama [20 years after ‘Jerry Maguire,’ ‘Show me the money!’ still makes bank].