Shabbat Shalom: Friday Wrap-up (6/16/2017)
Last weekend I had a marvelous time in the Hudson Valley followed by some good comedy and eats in New York City. But as always, it’s damn good to be back home. Speaking of which, my current house is for sale. I’ll give a special rate to a Sports Agent Blog reader. In August, I’ll be moving to a new house, also in Fort Lauderdale, and on the water, which has always been my dream. Excited for Mayweather v. McGregor? It’s very likely to break box office records despite many people believing that McGregor has no shot in a traditional boxing format. But it will definitely be fun and you can certainly count me among the millions who will be tuning in.
This week on Forbes:
(1) This Week In Sports Law: David Beckham In Miami, NHL Wins Concussion Case, New Sandusky Victim Suit;
(2) Drone League Races Toward Another $20 Million Raise;
(3) Additional $10 Million Raised For Top Performing Football Helmet Company;
(4) Russell Westbrook Invests In Social Media News Startup;
(5) Live Nation, MSG, Roc Nation, WME/IMG And Tao Group Invest In Location-Sharing Startup
(6) A Golfer’s Getaway Only 2 Hours Outside New York City
And as always, the weekly wrap-up:
- 20th round pick advised by Jason Wood [East’s Schanuel drafted by Phillies, but may still be Iowa-bound].
- MacKenzie Gore, represented by Scott Boras, was drafted third overall [How a kid from Whiteville became one of baseball’s top prospects].
- Royce Lewis, selected first overall, is also a Boras client [Lewis, Hiura, Pratto chosen in top 14 of MLB draft; five locals taken in top 69 Monday].
- LG Castillo, drafted in the 17th round by the Brewers, looks like he will sign with the team instead of going to Oklahoma [Castillo Leads Local MLB Draftees].
- Wills Montgomerie, represented by Jack Toffey, was grabbed by the Dodgers in the 6th round [MLB Draft Continues; UConn’s Montgomerie Gets The Call].
- For some players, choosing college over an early start to a professional career is an easy choice [Jacobsen: ‘I can’t wait to get to school’].
- Darren Baker’s advisor is John Hamilton [Nationals select Dusty Baker’s son, Darren, in 27th round of MLB draft].
- Hadley Engelhard says that he “asked very politely” [Agent for RB Matt Jones wants Redskins to release him].