So I moved on from writing at Forbes after 6+ years of covering the intersection of sports and money (more on that here) to create a new website that is strictly devoted to same (TheSports.Biz) and would appreciate a follow of the website’s new Twitter account (@TheSportsDotBiz). I’m excited about the new project and have an appreciation for how difficult it can be to build a platform up from scratch, as it is exactly what I did here with Sports Agent Blog back in 2005. I think it will do well, though, as I will be contributing much of what I used to provide over at Forbes. It will be hyperfocused on sports business and I’ll do my best to not deviate. And so…
This week on The Sports Biz:
(1) DraftKings Becomes The 1st To Deliver A Mobile Sportsbook App In New Jersey;
(2) Lenny Dykstra Takes A Swing At Company For Failing To Disclose $400k Payment From Amazon;
(3) Sports Journalist Sued For Not Turning Over Twitter Account;
(4) Job Opening: USTA Seeks New York-Based Staff Attorney With 2-4 Years’ Experience;
(5) MMA Startup Raises $28 Million Series B Round With Help From Kevin Hart And Tony Robbins;
(6) Lil Wayne’s Sports Agency Is Suing Its Former NBA Client Frank Mason III For $90K+ And A Gold Chain;
(7) DraftKings Takes Early Lead In Sports Betting Competition, With FanDuel Playing The Long Game;
(8) 3 Investors Have Taken Over Royal Caribbean’s Mariner Of The Seas For The Ultimate Fitness Cruise
And as always, the weekly wrap-up:
- Sunny Shah is the defendant who allegedly cut commissions without agency approval [NFL Agency Wants At Least $350,000 From Agent Who Cut Commissions Related To Xavier Rhodes].
- Agent Blake Baratz doesn’t like the new safety rule regarding a player lowering his head to deliver a hit – “It will be a complete disaster come the regular season” [As NFL preseason gets going, everyone is trying to figure out the new helmet rule].
- ASU coach Rocky Long: “Kids make their own decisions. If they want to come out early, that’s their decision. They signed a contract with us. If they don’t want to uphold that part of the contract, ‘see ya.’” [Should college football players be allowed to return to school after testing NFL Draft? Aztecs’ Long not so sure].
- Agent Tim DiPiero consideres Randy Moss the Charles Barkley of the NFL [Moss’ longtime agent opens up about upcoming HOF induction].
- Bowen’s name was included in the whole college basketball corruption scandal [Former Louisville recruit Brian Bowen signs pro contract in Australia].
- Scott Boras said this season will definitely be Kyler Murray’s last [Agent says Kyler Murray will play baseball after 2018 football season at Oklahoma].
- Junior sports agent Stephanie Lopez said she was harassed by veteran agent Amit Naor [CAA Sports Agent Says Colleague Threw Chair at Her, Called Her Racial Slur (Exclusive)].