It was an enjoyable and successful six days in New York City, but I’m glad to be back in Florida for a few days before I head to Pittsburgh and Scottsdale next week. Today, I’m off to Gainesville for my annual trip to a Gators football game. Unfortunately, the team is on a mighty slide at the moment, but there is no way that it will interfere with the joy that I always have in returning to the city where I spent seven years of my life (not because I’m Van Wilder, but because I did undergrad and law school studies back-to-back).
This week on The Sports Biz:
(1) Cavaliers And Dan Gilbert Sued After Signaling A Strategy To Hire Younger Coaches;
(2) Job Opening: University Of Miami Seeks Director, Athletic Facilities;
(3) Job Opening: Topps Seeks Assistant General Counsel;
(4) Stadia’s State Of The Season Highlighted By 3rd Exit In 3 Years Of Biz;
(5) Robert Kraft’s Overwatch Team Files Trademark Opposition Vs. Raptors Ownership;
(6) NHL Finds Room To Add FanDuel As An Official Sports Betting Partner;
(7) Lakers Forward Brandon Ingram Inks Deal With Unique Black Water Company;
(8) 47 Of 64 Louisiana Parishes Will Soon Be Able To Spend Money On Fantasy Sports;
(9) Gaming Companies Are Banking On Spread Of Sports Gambling In U.S. To Meet Projections;
(10) Adidas Vs. Ohio State: Trademark Fight Over Three-Stripes Design
And as always, the weekly wrap-up:
- He was expected to make $25 million next year; signed 4-year deal with Mets to earn $10 million [Brodie Van Wagenen Expected to Take Massive Pay Cut With Mets].
- He’s an agent who is not afraid to speak his mind [Agent Scott Boras blames MLB’s lower attendance on tanking teams].
- Says he’s never talked to Brodie in his life [Scott Boras doesn’t sound like he wants to negotiate with new Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen].
- Doesn’t seem like a smart business move for NCAA to penalize many of its strongest school members [Feds give NCAA green light to begin probe of schools in recruiting scandal].
- A bit fluffy for me . . . [Lessons Learned From Adidas’ College-Recruiting Scandal].
- David Mulugheta took a tough stand against a client who is set to earn a massive amount of money. [Report: Agent ends relationship with Saints WR Michael Thomas].