Octagon and Wasserman found themselves atop the sports business industry on Wednesday, as each of them took home honors at the Sports Business Journal’s 13th annual Sports Business Awards show, which was held virtually due to COVID-19.
Octagon won the award for Best in Corporate Consulting, Marketing and Client Services. It is the fourth time the agency has received the award (2008, 2013, 2015, and 2020), the most of any agency. The agency has also been nominated for the award 11 times, according to the Sports Business Journal.
“We are tremendously proud of our talented team, and honored to be awarded with this great recognition by SBJ. It’s always our mission to support our clients and position them in a manner to make the smartest, strongest, most innovative and creative moves possible; to set, achieve and exceed their goals. This win is a testament to the work and dedication of our clients, and the Octagon Family around the world, to bring award-winning work to life,” John Shea, Octagon’s Global President of Marketing and Events, said in a statement provided to me by Octagon’s Alex Rozis, Vice President of Global Communications.
Wasserman won the award for Best Talent Representation of the Year. The agency tweeted the following from their Twitter account: “We’re honored to be voted ‘Best Talent Representation’ by @sbjsbd at this year’s #SBJAwards. Our purpose is to serve and support our clients, and we are proud to stand behind them and advocate for them in every step of their careers. #TeamWass”
In addition to winning in their respective categories, Octagon was nominated for Best Talent Representation of the Year, while Wasserman was nominated for Best in Corporate Consulting, Marketing and Client Services as well as Best in Property Consulting, Sales and Client Services.
The Sports Business Journal handed out 19 awards in total.
- Sports Team of the Year: St. Louis Blues
- Sports League of the Year: Major League Soccer
- Sports Event of the Year: 2019 NFL Draft (held in Nashville, TN)
- Best in Corporate Consulting, Marketing and Client Services: Octagon
- Best in Sports Media: CBS Sports
- Best in Digital Sports Media: Bleacher Report
- Best in Mobile Fan Experience: The Masters Tournament App, produced by Augusta National and IBM
- Best in Property Consulting, Sales and Client Services: Legends Hospitality
- Best in Sports Event and Experiential Marketing: Bespoke Sports & Entertainment
- Best in Sports Social Media: Louisiana State University
- Best in Sports Technology: Mixed-Reality Baltimore Raven (Baltimore Ravens)
- Best Talent Representation of the Year: Wasserman
- Sports Breakthrough of the Year: Premier Lacrosse League
- Sports Facility of the Year: Chase Center (Golden State Warriors)
- Sports Sponsor of the Year: Visa
- Athletic Director of the Year: Scott Stricklin (University of Florida)
- Sports Executive of the Year: Jimmy Pitaro (ESPN)
- Lifetime Achievement Award of the Year: Larry Tanenbaum (Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment)
- Celebration of Service: Team IMPACT