The Miami Dolphins are 2-0. Didn’t think I would be writing that. And they actually have a decent chance to start off the season 3-0 with a match-up against an Oakland Raiders team that appears to be in disarray. Happy New Year to everyone who observed Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur over the past couple of weeks. Let’s start this next year very strong. I’ll be speaking at an esports event in Miami next week called the Esports BAR. In town? Come check it out. I’ll be interviewing Alibaba Group’s Global Esports Director Jason Fung during a keynote.
This week on The Sports Biz:
(1) Tulane Sports Law Announces 12th Annual Baseball Arbitration Competition;
(2) Job Opening: University of Southern California Seeks Athletic Compliance Director;
(3) Job Opening: UCF Seeks Associate Athletic Director;
(4) Integrity Fee Still A Hot Topic For Lobbyists Representing Sports Leagues In West Virginia;
(5) Dolphins Rookie Safety Minkah Fitzpatrick Files TM Application For FitzMagic;
(6) It Only Takes A Few Months For Skillz Mobile Esports To Double Revenue Run-Rate To $400 Million;
(7) Priceless? Mastercard Signs Massive Deal With Riot Games’ League Of Legends;
(8) Corey Liuget Claims Ex-Trainer Owes Him At Least $15 Million For Harmful Conduct;
(9) Jameis Winston Sued In Federal Court By Uber Driver Who Accuses QB Of Sexual Assault;
(10) Ex-Goldman Sachs Associate Pleads Guilty To Insider Trading With Mychal Kendricks
And as always, the weekly wrap-up:
- Garoppolo says that everyone told him it would be a terrible decision to have the same agent – Don Yee – but that it worked out very well [Jimmy Garoppolo on Relationship with Tom Brady: ‘We Still Text Here and There’].
- York says he’s never said a negative work about Kaepernick to another team and didn’t have a problem with Kap kneeling [Owner Jed York says 49ers never told other teams to not sign Colin Kaepernick].
- Mahomes’ agent Leigh Steinberg calls Andy Reid a ‘quarterback whisperer’ [Is Patrick Mahomes NFL’s next great QB? ‘Secret’s out’ after record start].
- Drew Rosenhaus downplayed the significance of AB’s tweet and absence from practice [Antonio Brown’s Agent Explains ‘Trade’ Tweet, Missed Steelers Practice].
- The ‘agent vs agent’ campaign will play out over the course of the NFL season [New Aaron Rodgers commercial pits sports agent against insurance agent].
- Bottom-line: Louisville is unlikely to emerge unscathed [A year later, recruiting scandal still looms over Louisville basketball].
- Ian Gray’s appointment has driven TLA stock to shoot up [Former Tottenham Hotspur boss seeks to put TLA Worldwide back on a winning path].