In two hours, I will be on stage at the O’Connell Center (where UF plays its basketball games), officially graduating from University of Florida’s Levin College of Law. The whole family is in town, which is nice (but rare). On Monday, I begin studying for the Florida Bar. As I have mentioned before, other than being a student of Sports Law, I have really enjoyed reading up on Intellectual Property issues. Here’s one that might be interesting for those of you who share a liking of IP Law. Dynasty is representing some new players in basketball, including a few that are coming off tremendous seasons overseas and in college. And the baseball draft is less than a month away. Here are some stories I missed over the past week:
- 150km-per-hour fastballs – someone do the math [17-year-old pitcher signs with Scott Boras].
- Agree with the six players listed who truly deserve max contracts [“Max” player an overused term in the NBA].
- Bartelstein and co. had quite a Monday [Getting the job done].
- This looks like Moneyball in football [Is it Time to Abolish the NFL Combine?].
- Don’t make it in the NFL? Like Australia? [Agent hunts for great American hope]
- And an easy way to get someone drunk.. [How To Announce A Sponsorship Deal—The Right Way].
- Former sports agent Jim Neader assembled the board [St. Petersburg Mayor Bill Foster forms new Sports Alliance to help market city].
- Some good stuff about how an athlete’s attorney, agent, and PR people work together [Ask the Expert: Sports Attorney Jay Reisinger].