Take a second and nominate me (@DarrenHeitner) as a “Rising Star in Media” for the First Annual Untitled Sports Media Awards Project. You can insert http://sportsagentblog.com as the Nominee URL. Thanks!
Shabbat Shalom SAB readers. A new study from Cambridge University states that Ashkenazi Jews (descendants of Jews from Medieval Germany) have an IQ that is 20% higher than the global average. L’chaims all around for that! I love this piece on my man (and former Florida Gator), Alex Tyus, regarding his transition to Judaism. The Huffington Post has an article that highlights some of the best Jewish voices on Twitter. Can’t say that I follow any of them. Here are some stories I missed over the past week:
- The author is concerned about a replication of the last NBA lockout [Billy Hunter needs to keep the agents out of NBA lockout talks].
- Risk of injury, not getting paid, and not getting acclimated to international rules [NBA PLAYERS LOOKING OVERSEAS FACE GREAT RISKS].
- GQ shadowed agent David Canter for 72 hours [An Insider’s Look at the NFL Free Agent Frenzy].
- JR Rickert’s most memorable moments in his 10 year career as an agent [Most memorable moments as a professional sports agent].
- Feature on Don Meehan and Newport Sports (read about how he came up with the name!), which represents more NHL players than any other company [‘The dealmaker’].
- I do not see collective bargaining as being a “dark side” [Pay for play could be disastrous].
- Some thoughts from Molly Fletcher, who served as a great mentor while I was in college [Sports agents battle stigma of profession].
- Schools are now hiring companies to monitor student-athletes’ social media activity [What to do about social media? Colleges tackle how to monitor what athletes are saying].